Baseball fans have been eagerly awaiting the start of baseball season. Opening Day is Monday! My hometown team, the Washington Nationals will play the New York Mets at Nationals Park. Nats newbie Max Scherzer will take on Bartolo Colon.
As is an annual tradition, to celebrate Opening Day, here are my 50 favorite things (not in order) about the start of the baseball season.
1. Um, baseball begins!!!
2. The beginning of MASN HD broadcasts so I can watch real, live games, not Nats Classics
3. The family DVR will stop recording all my parents’ shows
4. Lots of new food options to try at Nationals Park like Virginia Biscuits, gourmet Grilled Cheese and Mac and Cheese, and New York-style Pizza.
5. The sounds of baseball – “crack!” of the bat. “whoomup!” of the ball hitting a glove. “peanuts! cracker jack!” shouting vendors.
6. Rob Manfred, the new MLB commissioner, will throw out the first pitch at Nationals Park on Opening Day
7. The high pop fly getting lost in the starry night of DC
8. Listening to DC Washington (who has a pretty awesome name) sing the Star Spangled Banner
9. Seeing how players deal with the new speed of play rules against stepping out of the batter’s box
10. Welcoming Max Scherzer, Casey Janssen, Yunel Escobar, and Matt den Dekker to the team
11. Waving your caps for the troops in the 3rd inning
12. Quick Pitch is on MLB Network. It is my main source for games I can’t stay up to watch
13. 6-4-3 doubleplays!
14. Scoring the games
15. Inside Pitches
16. Opening of the new team store at Nats Park this season
17. Seeing the train scoreboard in the Norfolk Southern Club in action
18. Replacing the rivalry with the Atlanta Braves with the Marlins or Mets
19. Counting down days until the Jayson Werth Chia Pet giveaway
20. Now that I’m older I get to stay up later to watch more of the night games
21. We’re season ticket holders again!
22. All of the major sports magazines have us winning the NL East – NO JINX
23. Finding out what song will play at Nats Park during the seventh-inning stretch
24. I can’t wait to see what they do at TheNationalsArchive.com this year
25. Sometimes missing school for games
26. Pups in the Park and Nats Pets Calendar
27. Commemorative bobbleheads to collect this year (I can’t wait for the Stras bobblehead!)
28. Lots of new things to write about on MattsBats.com (sometimes it’s very hard thinking of topics for posts during the offseason)
29. Seeing how the 2:05 clock in centerfield for TV commercials actually works (part of the new pace of play rules)
30. Seeing 10th Anniversary commemorative patch on the Nats jerseys
31. Waiting for summer to officially begin
32. Baseball games that actually count
33. Proving that the Nationals have the best rotation in the MLB
34. Seeing Ryan Zimmerman play games at first base
35. Reading articles by some of my favorite reporters like James Wagner and Mark Zuckerman
36. “Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack”
37. Bob and FP on TV, and Charlie and Dave on the radio
38. Ryan will hit homers to Zim-bomb-we
39. More posts and podcasts from my favorites like Nationals 101, Red Porch Report, The Nats Blog, The NatsGM Show, and Citizens of Natstown
40. The Nationals outfield spells “WSH” (Werth-Span-Harper) (but only Harper will be playing on Opening Day)
41. Listening to baseball on the radio during car trips and while going to bed
42. Lots and lots of cheering Nats fans at each game
43. The only time I can bug my parents for a soda and actually get it
44. I might get my 1,500th Twitter follower this season
45. Nats Dogs
46. The possibility of MLB announcing the 2018 All-Star Game is coming to DC #DCISREADY
47. Turning eleven!
48. Getting the chance to meet more Matt’s Bats readers and Twitter followers at “tweet-ups”
49. Baseball almost every day until at least September and hopefully October
50. Charlie Slowes saying, “Bang! Zoom! Another Curly W is in the books!”
What are your favorite things about the start of the baseball season? Leave a comment or tweet me at @MattsBats.