About Matt’s Bats
I’m Matt, a twelve year old kid from the suburbs of the nation’s capital! I love baseball and have been writing a blog called Matt’s Bats (http://www.mattsbats.com) since July 2012. I am a huge fan of baseball, especially the Washington Nationals. Yes, I write all my posts by myself, but my parents, who we call my “Editors in Chief,” edit everything with me. They also help me post on Twitter at @MattsBats.
I have had some great experiences as a baseball writer, like going behind the scenes at several ballparks (like Nationals Park, Wrigley Field, Fenway Park, Marlins Park, PNC Park, Safeco Field, Petco Park, and Orioles Park at Camden Yards….), making friends with some of the players and broadcasters, interviewing interesting people, and getting to know a lot of other Nationals super-fans.
In September 2014, The Sporting News named me to their “Must Follow Twitter List” for the 2014 MLB Playoffs.
For the 2015 baseball season, I was invited to be a guest blogger for MASN (Mid-Atlantic Sports Network), the official TV broadcast network of the Washington Nationals and Baltimore Orioles. I write a weekly post for the Nationals Buzz section of the MASNsports.com website.
In July 2015, I covered the Nickelodeon Kids Choice Sports Awards from the red carpet in Los Angeles, CA
In November 2015, I was invited to the White House as part of the press corps coverage of the Presidential Medal of Freedom award ceremony, honoring Willie Mays and Yogi Berra. In July 2016, I was invited back to the White House as press for the ceremony honoring the 2015 World Series champion Kansas City Royals.
Through Matt’s Bats, I have had lots of amazing experiences that have made me want to be a professional journalist like:
Several TV and Radio interviews, both live and taped for broadcast
I have also conducted interviews of my own with sports figures from every major sports league (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL) and professional broadcasters, including:
- Justin Verlander (Pitcher, Detroit Tigers)
- Stephen Strasburg (Pitcher, Washington Nationals)
- Tommy Lasorda (Hall of Fame manager, Los Angeles Dodgers)
- Max Scherzer (Pitcher, Washington Nationals)
- Jonathan Lucroy (Catcher, Milwaukee Brewers)
- Rob Manfred (Commissioner, Major League Baseball)
- Darren O’Day (Pitcher, Baltimore Orioles)
- Drew Storen (Pitcher, Toronto Blue Jays/Washington Nationals)
- Wilson Ramos (Catcher, Washington Nationals)
- Denard Span (Outfielder, Washington Nationals/San Francisco Giants)
- Tim Kurkjian (ESPN Baseball Analyst, Baseball Tonight and SportsCenter)
- Secretary Ray Mabus (Secretary, U.S. Navy)
- Eric Hosmer (Kansas City Royals)
- Alex Gordon (Kansas City Royals)
- Livan Hernandez (Retired pitcher, Washington Nationals)
- Nick Swisher (OF/DH/1B, Atlanta Braves)
- Chris Cooley (former NFL player and broadcaster)
- Max Domi (Winger, Arizona Coyotes)
- Lorenzo Alexander (Linebacker, Arizona Cardinals)
- Ryan Kerrigan (Linebacker, Washington Redskins)
- Kai Forbath (Kicker, Washington Redskins)
- Nick Sundberg (Washington Redskins)
- Dave Jageler (Washington Nationals radio broadcaster)
- Heather Zimmerman (Wife of Washington Nationals 3rd Baseman Ryan Zimmerman)
- Zack Hample (MLB “ballhawk”)
- Meggie Zahneis (MLB.com Correspondent)
I have also used my website and Twitter to raise money and awareness for charities that are important to me. In 2013 and 2014, I raised more than $15,000.
I have also begun reviewing and “endorsing” products, including books, apparel and athletic equipment, that are geared towards sports fans (particularly baseball) and kids. I publish an annual Holiday Gift Guide for Kids with editorial content and sponsored placements.
Please Contact Us if you are interested in learning more about Matt’s involvement in any of the above.