The Nationals take on Tim Hudson and the Braves today at Nationals Park. The game will be shown on FOX starting at about 1:00. But when it’s over, DON’T TURN OFF THE TV. I will be on FOX 5’s Post-Game show right after the game at about 4:00 pm. Please watch it! We taped the interview yesterday. I talk about the Nats and other interesting stories in baseball.
Last night, the Nationals showed problems with the bullpen. This is a topic I talked about with Dave Ross in the Fox interview before the game. Tyler Clippard, Drew Storen and Craig Stammen all gave up walks and runs, but Detwiler had an amazing game. In the end, Ramiro Pena hit a 2-run homer in the to push the Braves over the Nationals, 6-4.
Here’s what else happened around the league on Friday night:
- The Yankees turn a 4-6-5-6-5-3-4 triple play. Adam Jones made a costly error with the bases loaded. It helped New York beat Baltimore, 5-2. Check out the amazing triple play.
- Starlin Castro hits a walk-off double as the Cubs beat the Giants, 4-3. Dioner Navarro, David DeJesus, and Castro all hit homers
- Nick Swisher hit a walkoff single in the ninth off pitcher Jesse Crain of the White Sox. Cleveland defeated Chicago, 1-0.
- Brandon Phillips hit 2 homers to keep the Reds alive, but Andrew McCutchen hit a go-ahead homer in the 7th that kept the Pirates lead, 6-5, through the ninth.
- Chase Utley hit a go-ahead triple in extra innings that gave the Phils the lead. Philadelphia 3, Miami 1.
- John Buck doesn’t mind the snow and the 34 degree weather in Minnesota. He hit a grand slam in the 2nd inning, when the score was already 10-5. The Mets routed the Twins, 16-5.
- The Blue Jays beat the Royals, 8-4, but lost Jose Reyes to an injury when sliding into 2nd base. Reyes will be out for a while.
- Kyle Lohse comes back to Saint Louis in a gray Milwaukee uniform, but Yadier Molina had 2 RBIs to push the Cards over the Crew, 2-0.
- Josh Wilson made an amazing turn to Cliff Pennington for the 4-6-3 double play to end it. Patrick Corbin pitched a 3-hitter as the D-Backs defeated the Dodgers, 3-0.
- Josh Donaldson of the Oakland Athletics hit a solo homer in the 12th to walkoff the Tigers, 3-4.
- 2 struggling teams faced off in Anaheim, but the Astros beat the Angels, 5-0. The Angels are World Series contenders on paper but awful on the field.
- Dexter Fowler and Josh Rutledge hit homers for the Rockies to beat the Padres, 7-5.
- Two Japanese people, Hisashi Iwakuma and Yu Darvish faced off, but Iwakuma had the better side as the Mariners beat the Rangers, 3-1.
Let other baseball fans know about my blog (www.mattsbats.com) and Twitter (@MattsBats). I love getting new followers and RTs. If you want to receive an email whenever there is a new post you can SUBSCRIBE HERE.